Saturday, April 25, 2009

April heatwave...


Today the temperature hit 86 degrees... sort of strange considering that a few days ago it was 40 degrees cooler! Oh well, i managed to flow with it pretty well... lots of sunscreen, water and breaks. I remulched the beds near the paperbark maple... and also the main flower bed (almost... i still have a bit more to go) A lot of weeding, digging and lugging. I figured that i carried at least 20 big buckets of mulch today... add that in with the 40 lb. bag of concrete mix. That explains why my back is achy. The concrete mix was used to repair some of the pavers on the back patio. A lot of chippy excavation had occured... so i had to pry up the pavers and then add gravel and concrete, and put the pavers back in place. I also brought out the first rain barrel and hooked it up to the downspout. I repaired (hopefully) two birdbaths that had leaks. I also buried a banana peal near the rose for extra added nutrients.
  • Today i noticed that it appears that the quince is taking a year off from blooming... but the flowering almond looks close to bloom
  • The orange tulips are looking fine and the small red ones are also blooming
  • grape hyacinth in three colors continues to bloom
  • five very hearty trout lily plants are having a banner year
  • many varieties of daffodils continue to bloom
  • new growth on the ferns, hosta, asparagus, heuchera, columbine, lily of the valley
  • banner year for the freckles viola

No comments: