Thursday, July 16, 2009

July Gardening Update


It's been a while... and the garden continues to grow and thrive. It has been a very dry and cool summer so far. I like the cool part, but the dry part has its challenges. Today I had Joseph get out the garden hose... which i try to avoid using. The water barrel is empty, the ground cracked... so a good soaking was in order. The weather forecasts for some showers tomorrow. I feel like i primed the pump by watering today.

We carved out more garden space along the pine tree line (see photo). It felt good to get more of the weeds out of that area. In its place i transplanted an old-fashioned red daylily, lily-of-the-valley and oatgrass. In another section i split apart a very large variegated hosta. It was a challenge digging it out. We ended up dividing it into five pieces. We planted three in the new bed. The other two we planted near the base of the blue spruce. In the side bed where we lifted the hosta... we transplanted a bleeding heaart that wasn't happy under a tree. I believe that it will be a good spot for it. And because the bleeding heart is going in to its dormant stage, i planted zinnias there too. A second bleeding heart I transplanted to the front of the house. I still have another one to move.

I've also added the image of the shallow pot. I decided to plant chicks n hens along with rocks. I am pleased with the reults.

No comments: