Sunday, November 8, 2009

Gardening on a warm November day

It seems that we had a very cool October but today's warm temperatures allowed me to get some of the gardening done that i had been wanting to do. I started by planting the dianthus that had been growing in various pots and hanging planters. I made sure to protect them with chicken wire since it seems that dianthus is a favorite of the rabbits. It was a glorious time to garden... early on sunday morning, temperatures weren't too warm or too cold. And no one else was out. It was sublime.

I dug out a lot of liriope, woodruff and lily-of-the-valley that was taking over a section of the main garden. I still have a ways to go with digging it out. In the process I moved the monks hood that hasn't been real happy in that spot. It is now in the center of the garden.

I finally did something that i have been thinking about for some time. I wanted a taller plant near the patio edge between us and the neighbor. I had a healthy fountain grass that I felt would be nice in that role. i dug up the fountain grass and split it into four pieces. three of the pieces were planted near the patio... the fourth was placed in the main garden... it adds some nice height.

So now i have a hole where the fountain grass was and i'm thinking of planting the huge mum that Richelle gave me in that spot. I ran out of sunlight today... but maybe it will happen on Wednesday when i am off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Paula. We're having some warmer temps this week, too...72 today, and I'm going out to do yard cleanup.

Have you tried Liquid Fence for the rabbits? We don't have rabbits, but it stops the deer "cold turkey." It's a completely natural product.

It's a great time to rearrange plants. And...isn't sweet woodruff the most wonderful thing? I love its aroma.