
This morning i woke up to a heavy frost. Most of my annuals were hit hard... except for a couple of the marigolds. They looked beautiful this morning with their crystaline glaze... not so beautiful this evening when i arrived home... I spent some time this evening pulling out what was left of the zinnias and cosmos.
I still haven't had a chance to move some of the plants around. I had hoped to do so last week but the weather was cold and rainy. Maybe this week it will happen.
3 comments:
Ah, the first frost. We're still awaiting it here. It is beautiful...until it melts off, but the garden will still be lovely in the winter.
I'm curious...is the white lavender you mention two posts down Edelweiss? If so, does it overwinter there? This was my first summer with it, and I brought in cuttings just in case. The fragrance is spicier than other lavenders and I just love it...couldn't bear to lose it.
Hi Josie, the lavender is White Provence Lavender, Lavandula intermedia alba. It has a spicey fragrance, especially when it gets wet. According to my source (Papa Geno's Herb Farm) it is hardy to zones 8-9... but here i am in zone 5 and it has over-wintered for years. It's location might have something to do with it... it is protected from winds by the house to the north west, the main bed is between the brick house and the sidewalk which holds in heat, and it gets plenty of sunshine. I hope it continues to overwinters well.
~Paula
Paula, thank you for responding. I didn't know there was a White Provence lavender. We have purple Provence. I've had great success propagating Provence cuttings simply tucked into a pot of soil without rooting hormone or anything (as with the geraniums I mentioned on my blog), so I'm trying it with the Edelweiss lavender, too. I might try it with Munstead next...
I think I will leave the little Edelweiss mother plant out all winter, though. As you say, it's on the south side of the house, and should get many rays reflecting from the house, too.
Post a Comment