Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall Cleanup... winter prep

September felt like October and now October feels like November!

Last weekend i took in the plants that i want to overwinter. The rosemary, oxalis, a few favorite geraniums, an ivy, a couple spike plants. I didn't bring in as many as in the past... and my chiropractor is happy.

Today I spent a lot of time winterizing... there are frost warnings tonight. I took in the birdbaths that will split if they freeze-i have a few others that i leave out all winter. A good portion of the statuary has been cleaned and brought in. The hose, that was only used once over the summer, was drained and brought in... and a winterizing protector was put over the faucet. I drained the rain barrel... saving some of the water into a tub for potential use over the weekend.

I've done a lot of trimming of dead flower branches. Took down the fence around the vegetable garden and left the deer a few pepper plants to nibble on. I think thats it for now... a nap is next on my list...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I forgot the oxalis! Thanks for reminding me.

I was just browsing garden blogs on blogger, searching under geraniums, and yours came up.

What a blessing.

I just brought in geranium cuttings, and Edelweiss lavender, but the Iron Cross and the Purple Shamrock must also come in.

If you wish to stop by and see my "garden in the rain", you would be most welcome.

Nice garden journal.

Josie Ray
Appalachian Dream

PA Paula said...

Josie, i'm happy that my little gardening notes served as a reminder to bring in that oxalis! I look forward to visiting your gardening journal. ~Paula

Jim McMurry said...

Paula--

Hope you're well and excited
with winterwhite visuals and littlechirping audios.

I took the first photo of your snowy garden with rounded wall to be a black & white photo till the red of the house seeped in to my retina.

Now I'll look some more and read some more.

Jim