Saturday, May 15, 2010

Perfect Day for Gardening


Today the temperatures were in the high 60s with plenty of sun, clouds and cool breezes. I found myself on a mission of weeding/mulching beds around trees... birches (2), crab apple (2) and dog wood... and also a lengthy bed along the pine tree border in the south corner. I created more piles of weeds than joseph wants to deal with! End result is a yard that looks nicer than it has in years. I'm happy to say that my energy stayed up for a good portion of the day. I tried to pace myself... weed and much, then take a break to get some water... take a short nap, refuel and go back outside.


Currently in bloom:
  • bearded iris
  • heuchera
  • columbine
  • dianthus (pinks)
  • clematis
  • vinca
  • violets
  • allium
  • lily-of-the-valley
We saw two hummingbirds over the past couple of days. I was happy that the female found the red huechera that i planted for hummers.

No comments: