Monday, May 17, 2010

Two perfect days in a row... on the weekend!


Sunday was an extension of Saturday with gorgeous weather... not too hot with passing clouds. I found myself finding places to work... following the shadows of the yard. I continued with my weeding and mulching routine. I've made a pretty good dent in the three cubic yards of much. I found myself extending the southern edge bed and transplanting a day lily from my main garden. One day lily = seven new plants. I still have more weeding and mulching to do in that corner... especially thinning out the lily-of-the-valley. And did i mention that the black cohosh has come back! I was so delighted to see it bursting through the lily-of-the-valley. The goat's beard is growing very quickly... it really likes it's new home. I did some trimming of branches on the quince and trimmed some dead branches off of the birches. I also trimmed up some of the dogwoods to look like trees, not shrubs.

I noticed when working outside for those two days that the frost we had a week ago did hit some of my plants. It seems that the front of the house was hard hit, especially the hosta, fern and hedges. We also noted crisp leaf edges on the sassafras, holly and heuchera. The temperature fluctuation from 80s to 30s was more than some of the tender shoots could handle.

No comments: