Saturday, June 30, 2007

Trim Day


Currently, the asiatic lilys are in bloom. Here's a picture of a pink one.

Today I spent some time trimming the hedges around the front of the house. Instead of using the electric trimmers whose noise unerves me and is really hard on the upper arms... i used a new pair of hand hedge trimmers. I like being able to put them down on a minutes notice without hurting the shrubs. I was also able to trim the backside of the hedges that were too close to the house. I wasn't able to be in control of the electric trimmers to do that previously (without hitting the brick).

I also started the process of trimming back the wild asters. I have found that if i trim them to half their height sometime around the fourth of july, they respond well and get really thick and bushy (and not too tall).

Today, i also harvested columbine seeds. Shaking the seedheads in to a bucket... i noticed a bunch of tiny little beige beetles. I need to look them up and see what they may be.

No comments: